Monday, April 29, 2019

ON WRITING

Floating along
The bright smile started my day off well. Dean, a friendly man I see sometimes on my morning walk, stopped me. He had gone camping in Big Sur recently and somehow come across a Coastline Pilot from 2012 with my Chasing Down the Muse column in it. 

He and I have spoken before about the column...we both miss it. I, for the push it gave me and for him, I cannot speak, but he understood when I had told him my unwillingness to write when I could no longer be paid. It does all writers a disservice, I think.

This morning we again talked about art and writing. It is interesting that with art work there is a recognition by the artist that it is valued when someone purchases a piece. This is not always true with a writer, who may write for a newspaper or other publication. Again, this is one of the reasons it is so important to be paid for one's writing. Sadly, print has been phasing out and just doesn't pay.

Well, I shall keep on chasing down my muse and writing this blog, not even knowing if anyone reads it. It somehow works for me. As Willie Nelson said, "I like myself better when I'm writing regularly."

1 comment: