Wednesday, November 13, 2019

SIMPLE

Simple
I thought maybe I would impart just a bit more of my ideas about teaching and what it means to me:

In my mind the doing of art should be simple. A piece may end up with layers of complexity to it and loads of meaning, but the doing can be just, well, simple.

Teaching is the same. I seek to simply commit to the students, to provide a supportive environment for imagining, dreaming, exploring and being venturesome outside their normal bounds. 

Above all else, I commit to a place where play is essential, for the soulful creativity is found there in that place, I believe. When creating, it is important to feel like the child stringing beads in kindergarten--happy, totally absorbed, and quietly putting on one bead after another.

Pablo Picasso said, "Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up." I would go farther, the problem is how to remain at heart a child and that is what I hope to bring to each workshop I teach.

Simple, right?








No comments:

Post a Comment