Saturday, March 30, 2019

PAREIDOLIA--WHAT'S THAT? YOU ASK...

A Leprechaun's ear perhaps?
Pareidolia is one of the delightful words I first heard from the lips of chalk artist extraordinaire David Zinn. 

On the final day of his visit here in Laguna Beach, having contributed 12 wonderful examples of sidewalk art to our community, there was a workshop for the public. I was sad to have to miss it. So, as I walked around town and Heisler Park looking for pieces eleven and twelve, I noticed many spots I thought could be put to good use.

This is pareidolia--an extraordinary piece of our brain power that has us always on the alert for possible patterns in the world around us. Logic need not apply and perhaps the more whimsical and illogical the better.

Many times when people will ask how I see what I see in the world, I question them, "What did you see in your wallpaper, in the clouds, etc, as a child?" This may be the key--to get back to that child in us. And what better way to do it than with chalk? Thank you, David Zinn, for reminding us all.

I see an old man's beard. You?

No comments:

Post a Comment